Wednesday, June 11, 2014

ENCOURAGE | The Adventure Continues



Those of who have been following along here and on social media know that our family has been in search of a permanent home for months now. You've been with me through the ups and downs of the rental we've now lived in for three years. Well, those of you who are familiar with or live in the area know that the real estate market here in Seattle is a little out of control. 

We weren't too far into our search before we decided that we would need to change our game plan from purchasing a home to renting...again. (insert sigh)

After a couple of weeks of looking for a rental home that met our requirements, we were honestly exhausted and in the process, as we had since the beginning of all of this, continued to trust and pray for direction from God in this decision. And realized we were exhausted because we were...working. So, we stopped. 

Have you ever prayed about something to have it turn out the complete opposite of what you thought it would be? 
Can I just be honest here with you? For us, this would be one of those times. And when those prayers seem to go unanswered or that God has completely deserted you, your mind can begin to wander. When it seems your in a valley, like all hope is lost...like all help is gone...that God must not have heard or answered your prayers...

...and then...

...you realize that's not the case at all. 

When I sat down to write this post I scrolled through photos in my drive and found this photo.




I originally thought I'd use it for my IG account as a prompt for this blog post. Well, upon closer examination I noticed something in this photo that I had never noticed before.

Lily of the Valley. 

Can you see them? 
They are the small white flowers with the long green stems in the pots. 
In scripture, while sometimes debatable as to whether this is a direct reference to Jesus or whether the scripture points us to something totally different, I couldn't shake the thought that this is just a reminder for me of God's promises to our family. 

Now, I'm not saying we are in a pit or a valley even though there are some days that certainly feel like it. I WILL say that we are learning to trust God in a new way as we navigate through this time of transition and what we saw ourselves doing a few years ago is not what we are stepping into right now. 

When I looked up the definition of valley this is what I found:
" n: a low area of land between hills or mountains, typically with a river or stream flowing through it."

This just keeps getting better and better...
You will find many times in scripture where Jesus likens Himself to water. 

John 4:14 
"but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

John 7:38
"Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me this way, just as the Scripture says."

These scriptures were just great reminders for me that even though we have absolutely NO idea what this new adventure will look like for us at the end or what steps we will take next. We do know that He is in the middle of this valley. That He is watering each of our moments. Our decisions. Our interactions...and He is the anchor in it all. My question to myself? Am I willing to allow Him to be that? To be my anchor in it all? Am I willing to trust Him wholeheartedly in this season to do exceedingly and abundantly above all that we could imagine or dream? Will I allow him to be that lily and look to Him when we don't know what to do or which way to go? I know for SURE those times are surely ahead but He will SURELY be our anchor and our hope. 

Sometimes it certainly feels like He has forgotten our prayers. Our dreams. Our desires. But I know that He hasn't. While it doesn't look the way we thought it would, I know that this new adventure is just what my heart wanted even though it just does not look as I expected. In the end, because He sees it all, I know that we will look back at all of this and be better because of it. 

At the end of this month, we will be taking steps to move into temporary housing to help our local foster community by providing respite care. 

We are excited but...keeping it real...afraid all at the same time. This is an absolute step of faith and while it's not exactly what we had planned, it's what He has planned and we know that SO many wonderful things will come out of this for our family so...we're diving in. 

I surely hope you will continue to follow along, pray for and join us on this amazing new adventure. I am absolutely encouraged and blessed by each of you and can't wait to share more as we forge ahead and embark on this new territory! 

I just have this strange feeling that it's gonna be good. 


XO,

6 comments:

  1. Kennesha, I love your perspective. After years and years of renting and moving and simply being unsettled this nomad needed to put down roots. We lived in Issaquah Highlands - which I absolutely loved. It was perfect. And completely out of my price range (for a house with a yard). A year of hunting and ever widening search radius I finally found my home. It is where I can put down roots. But it is not perfect. It is far away from the people and areas that I love, that I still miss. But I know God has a purpose and plan for me being right here. You are so right in that he will give you grace and beauty, even when the direction he is leading isn't always what you had originally pictured. Thank you for always being so open and transparent in your journey. It is refreshing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Laura! What a wonderful story and journey it sounds like you've been on! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and for following along! Have Ana amazing week...Praying for you!

      Delete
  2. We have a daughter named Lily and she is a constant reminder of strength, beauty and faith, example to her brothers and sisters. I love your blog. It is real, relevant and refreshing. It will be a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deborah! What an amazing testimony of God's promise through your daughter! XO

      Delete
  3. We have a daughter named Lily and she is a constant reminder of strength, beauty and faith, example to her brothers and sisters. I love your blog. It is real, relevant and refreshing. It will be a wonderful adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful realization. I love how we already know that Jesus is with us in our valleys, but to look up a dictionary definition and find an amazing connection to what we know- it's like Jesus telling us, "See, I'm here. But you knew that, didn't you."
    xoxo
    Lacey Jones

    ReplyDelete

I just love hearing from you!